This is a question that I see a fair bit over on the Google Calendar support forum.
Many people love Google Tasks – a simple, easy to-do list that is linked to Gmail and Google Calendar – but many people are also confused that they can’t see those tasks in the Google Calendar app on their phone.
So they end up searching for answers to questions like this one: “I can’t seem to figure out how to show my google task in my google calendar app installed in my android phone?”
Unfortunately for these searchers, Google currently does not support Tasks in the Google Calendar app, instead you have to view https://www.gmail.com/tasks through your mobile web browser.
The action screen is actually pretty user friendly and all actions are automatically synced back to the main cloud account so when you return to your desktop you’ll see the tasks in either Gmail or Google Calendar.
Quick Access to the Google Tasks mobile screen
Typing in that link can get pretty painful after a while though, especially if you just want to jot down a quick to-do.
Solution? Set up a bookmark on your home screen!
- Launch Chrome and go to gmail.com/tasks
- tap the Menu button and then tap ‘Add to Home Screen’
- Edit the bookmark name if you wish, otherwise tap ‘Add’.
- The bookmark will be added to your home screen
- Launch Safari and go to gmail.com/tasks
- Tap on the Menu icon and then tap ‘Add to Home Screen’. You may have to scroll to the right to see this option.
- Edit the bookmark name if you wish, otherwise tap ‘Add’ in the top right.
- The bookmark will be added to your home screen icon image
So what can you do on the mobile web browser?
Well you can create & edit tasks:
- Touch New Task.
- Type your item and press Enter.
- Add notes and set due dates by selecting a task and touching the arrow to edit its details .
- Select All lists.
- Touch New List and enter a name. Tap anywhere outside of the name field to save the list.
- Touch a list’s title to open that list.
- Tap ‘Edit’ in the top right of the screen.
- Find the task you want to delete, then touch Delete next to the task name.
Is there anything you can’t do?
You can’t do the more sophisticated Google Tasks unfortunately:
- Indent tasks
- Move tasks up and down a list
- Email a task list
- Print a task list
- View completed tasks
- Sort by due date
- Delete a list
For these actions you will need to go back to the desktop view of Google Tasks.
Having trouble accessing Google Tasks?
According to Google’s help documentation, Google Tasks for mobile browsers works best on Android, iPhone, and other devices with current web browsers.
Your browser must also support:
- Secure SSL traffic
So if you’re having trouble accessing Google Tasks contact your mobile service provider to see if cookies or secure SSL traffic are allowed on their network. Alternatively, if your phone has been issued by work contact your IT department to see if they’ve disabled cookies and/or secure SSL traffic for some reason on your phone.
Want more help?
Drop me a line with your question or comment if you’d like to chat one-on-one. Or subscribe to my newsletter to get notified the next time I put out a blog post on using Google products in your small business.